Sunday 30 August 2020

And So It Begins

It has been a good while since I maintained any kind of consistent campaign logs of our ongoing, long-haul D&D campaign set in the World of Greyhawk that has persisted and engaged us, we of a small but dedicated gaming group known as "The Coven", since the mid-1990's.  (I should add, that although the present campaign setting has been rolling since around '94, the group has deeper roots that began in the late 1970's). 
 
For a time, I did regular write-ups of our sessions.  I would usually post these on Dragonsfoot, or a charming place called Fogonline, or on a blog hosted on our own site.  (I used to Livejournal as well, but have unfortunately lost access to my account as it was registered to an ancient email address that no longer works.)

For various reasons, mainly limitations on available time and the need to balance, work, family, and gaming life, this was a practise that fell by the wayside.

Our group also established a Facebook presence, and narrative content now tends to get posted there.  However, I have long felt that Facebook was not the best place to organise such content.  And increasingly, I am not a fan of FB for other reasons.  But this is not the place to discuss those.

These days, I am drawn towards the Discord platform, but while that is a good place for chit-chat it serves direct posting of long-format content poorly.

So, what is my intent for this blog?  Well, it will be a mix of:
  • Campaign background material write-ups
  • Occasional session journals (maybe)
  • Musings on the subject of tabletop RPGs
I am aware there are dedicated campaign organiser offerings.  I'm sure they're great but I tend to shy away from them because I have concerns about long-term viability of small outfits.  Call it a hangover from my years as an IT Manager.  Blogger isn't going away any time soon; at least, I don't think.

Older campaign material will not necessarily be presented chronologically, but in the order in which I manage to retrieve it from ancient backups of old hard drives.


Important Notice:

Views expressed by characters appearing in any background material or campaign journals should not be taken to correspond to the personal views of the players, games master, or the authors of such material.  Indeed, they may at times run quite to the contrary.


No comments:

Post a Comment